Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com

All mail and correspondence should be sent to:  6 Lansing Ave Watervliet NY 12189-1845

Phone: (518) 273-6262   E-Mail:  kaolsen2410@gmail.com  Please do not send text messages.  Thank you.

 

OUR MISSION/VISION STATEMENT

  • ST. BASIL'S CHURCH WILL STRIVE TO GLORIFY GOD THROUGH 

ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN WORSHIP,

SINCERE LOVE AND CARE FOR ONE ANOTHER,

AND SERVICE TO THOSE IN NEED AROUND US                  

Welcome! It is always an honor and a privilege when we have visitors worship with us at St. Basil’s.  Please consider filling out a “Visitor’s Card” at the Candle Desk and joining us for Coffee Hour after the liturgy. Please keep in mind that we have certain traditions and practices that perhaps you may not be accustomed to.  For example, modest and proper attire should be worn.  We do not practice so-called "Eucharistic hospitality" or "inter-Communion."  Only Baptized Orthodox Christians who have been to Holy Confession recently may receive Holy Communion.  If you are an Orthodox visitor and plan to receive Holy Communion, please call Fr. Peter ahead of time (518-273-6262).  

Sacraments are scheduled only by Baptized Orthodox Christians who go to church, go to Confession and receive Holy Communion on a regular basis. Please note that in order to schedule a sacrament; you must be a member in good standing of St. Basil's.  If you are a member of another Orthodox Church, you must bring a letter from the Parish Priest stating that you are a member in good standing of that parish.  All Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals must be scheduled ahead of time with Fr. Peter.  Not all days and times are permitted.  All canonical, traditional and liturgical practices of the Church must be followed and adhered to.    All Baptisms must be discussed with the parents of the child ahead of time. Thank you!

 

On Sunday, May 26, 2024, St. Basil's recognized Hannah Holowach who graduated from Catholic Central High in Saratoga Springs.  Hannah will be studying civil engineering at RPI in the fall.  Hannah, who was a part of our church school and is a member of our choir, received a monetary scholarship, an icon, and a copy of the Orthodox Study Bible.  We wish Hannah continued success in her studies and in all future endeavors.  Many years!

St. Basil's, a parish of the Orthodox Church in America, is a Christian community of people from various ethnic and social backgrounds sharing a common commitment to the Lord, each other, and the Apostolic Faith. We warmly welcome all families, couples, and individuals who are looking for a deeper experience of the salvation offered in Jesus Christ. Come and see!


We encourage you to visit the official website of the Diocese of NY and NJ, www.nynjoca.org

 It includes information about various Diocesan activities:  Teen Retreats, Altar Servers Retreats, Mens and Womens Retreats, Family Fun Days, the Bishop’s schedule, etc.. 

Diocesan Guidelines and other vital documents are also available.  News about parish events and activities throughout the Diocese are also posted.

518-273-6262

kaolsen2410@gmail.com


OUR RELIQUARY

LIFE AT ST. BASIL'S

(42 images)



Ancient Faith Radio

Orthodoxy in America

SCHEDULE THIS WEEK

Sunday - July 14 - 9:10 am - Hours and Divine Liturgy - Coffee hour

Saturday - july 20 - 5:30 pm - Great Vespers. Confession

Sunday - July 21 - 9:10 am - Hours and Divine Liturgy. Coffee Hour. Deanery Clergy Picnic

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                       

                                                         

 

Home | Back | Print | Top

ENORMOUS ATTENDANCE AT THE 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF GLORIFICATION OF ST. JOHN OF SHANGHAI AND SAN FRANCISCO

San Francisco: June 29, 2024    

In honor of the thirtieth anniversary of his glorification by the Church Abroad, the Feast of St John the Wonderworker this year was marked with special solemnity at Holy Virgin Cathedral in San Francisco, where the saint’s incorruptible relics lie enshrined. Heading the festal Divine Services was the First Hierarch of the ROCOR, His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas, together with His Eminence Archbishop Kyrill of San Francisco and Western America, Ruling Bishop of the Diocese in which St John concluded his earthly archpastoral ministry in the mid-1960s, together with a host of local and invited hierarchs and clergy. Amongst these was His Grace Bishop Irenei of London and Western Europe, who traveled to California on the occasion not only out of his deep personal love for St John, but also to represent the Diocese of Great Britain and Western Europe, of which St John was the Ruling Bishop from 1950-1963. Accompanying him was Bishop Alexander, for whom the occasion marked the first opportunity to venerate the Saint’s relics in their final resting place, as well as visit many sites associated with the life of St John in western America.

As is the custom on the Saint’s summer feast day each year, the precious relics of St John were brought forth from their shrine on the south side of the San Francisco cathedral, to the centre of the temple where the Akathist to his honour (composed by one of St John’s spiritual children, Hieromonk Seraphim Rose) was chanted on Thursday evening. On the present occasion of the 30th anniversary, the Seminary Choir of Holy Trinity Seminary in Jordanville traveled to California in order to sing the services together with the members of the renowned Cathedral Choir.On Friday, the All-Night Vigil was served by the First Hierarch and assembled clergy, and on Saturday morning the Divine Liturgy of the Feast was celebrated in the presence of the Saint’s relics. On this annual occasion, Holy Virgin Cathedral is always filled with a great multitude of visiting clergy and faithful, who come from all over the country and world, from every Orthodox jurisdiction and diocese, out of love for the great Wonderworker; but on this occasion the number of visiting clergymen and laity was truly extraordinary. Among those present on the Feast were many individuals who had known St John personally, including some of ‘Vladyka’s children’ who had been raised by him in the orphanage in Shanghai, and later in San Francisco; and some now-elder servers and clergy who had been Altar servers to the God-pleasing Hierarch.

Following the Divine Liturgy and procession with a moleben before the Saint’s relics, from which abundant healings flow on a daily basis, the First Hierarch, assembled Archpastors, clergy and faithful enjoyed a festal banquet and many hours of fellowship, inspired by their common love for one of the Church’s greatest saints and the heavenly protector and guide of the flock of the Orthodox diaspora. The large banquet was organized as a fundraiser for the St John Benevolent Fund, founded by St John in the 1950s, which continues his legacy of providing support and aid to the homeless, the hungry, and especially suffering children around the world.

OrthodoxEurope.org

***

St. John (Maximovitch) of Shanghai and San Francisco (1896–1966), was born in Kharkov, Russia (present-day Ukraine), on June 4, 1896 into a noble family, and named Mikhail at baptism. He was a devout child, known for his piety and religious fervor from a young age.

Mikhail Borisovich studied law at Kharkov Imperial University and later theology at the University of Belgrade.

Monastic Life: In 1926, he was tonsured as a monk and with the name John, in honor of St. John Maximovitch of Tobolsk, his ancestor. He was ordained a hieromonk in 1929.

In 1934, John was consecrated as the Bishop of Shanghai. He dedicated his efforts to serving the diverse Orthodox community there, which included Russians, Greeks, Serbs, and Chinese. He founded an orphanage, established a theological school, and worked extensively with the poor and sick.

During World War II and the subsequent Chinese Civil War, Bishop John organized the evacuation of Russian refugees from China to the Philippines, ensuring their safety and spiritual well-being despite facing numerous challenges.

In 1951, he was appointed Archbishop of Western Europe, headquartered in Paris. His tenure was marked by the establishment of several new parishes and missions across the continent, and the recognition of Western European pre-schism saints by the Russian Orthodox faithful.

In 1962, Archbishop John was assigned to the Archdiocese of San Francisco and Western America. Despite facing opposition and criticism, he revitalized the Orthodox community, completed the construction of the Holy Virgin Cathedral, and continued his extensive charitable work. In San Francisco he founded the St. Tikhon of Zadonsk Orphanage. The church at that address still holds services today.

St. John was known for his ascetic lifestyle, profound prayer life, and numerous miracles attributed to his prayers during his lifetime and after his repose. He slept very little and spent nights in prayer.

After his repose on July 2, 1966, in Seattle, numerous miracles were reported at his tomb in San Francisco. The Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia canonized him in 1994 as St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco. In 2008, the Holy Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate formally recognized the glorification of St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco. This recognition confirmed his veneration within the broader Russian Orthodox Church.

His feast day is celebrated on July 2, the day of his repose.

7/1/2024

Source: Orthochristian.com

 

 

A RALLY OF ORTHODOX FAITHFUL AND CLERGY HELD IN SUPPORT OF THE PERSECUTED UKRAINIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH

Tbilisi: July 1, 2024    

On June 27, 2024, Georgian Orthodox clergy and faithful rallied outside the Embassy of the European Union in Tbilisi, Georgia to protest the EU’s silence in the face of open persecution of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

Several dozen clergy and parishioners participated in the event, expressing solidarity with Orthodox Ukraine, and held a prayer service.    

Leaders of public organizations such as Gulbaat Rtskhiladze from the Eurasia Institute and Viktor Kusiani from the Euro-Asian Alliance were present at the rally, reports Sputnik Georgia. The location was chosen deliberately, because as Fr. David Isakadze, the organizer of the prayer service, stated after the conclusion of the prayers service, “The EU is effectively supporting, funding, and arming the Kiev regime.”    

Journalist and event organizer Zaza Davitaya added that the Orthodox Church in Ukraine, which is an autonomous Church under aegis of the Moscow Patriarchate, is being attacked by the authorities. Several bishops have been detained on false charges, churches are being destroyed and seized, and events inappropriate for an Orthodox church are being held there afterwards. Davitaya noted that these processes are being supported by international structures.    

Georgian politician Jondi Bagaturia emphasized that the current Ukrainian government is openly persecuting Orthodoxy and the clergy, and pointed out the EU’s conspicuous silence regarding these persecutions. He stated that several Ukrainian metropolitans were detained for refusing to betray the true Ukrainian Church.    

Archpriest David Isakadze delivered a sermon after the prayer service, in which he compared the current events to what happened in Georgia in the 1920s–30s, calling it ordinary fascism and persecution of the Orthodox Church.

***

The persecution of the Georgian Orthodox Church in the 1920s-30s occurred during the early years of Soviet rule in Georgia. This period was marked by severe repression of religious institutions and leaders under the Communist regime.

From around the turn of the 19th century, the various Georgian principalities were united and subsumed into the Russian Empire. Because of the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia, Georgia declared itself independent in 1918. In 1921, the Red Army invaded and annexed Georgia to the Soviet Union. Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, now known as Joseph Stalin, was a Georgian who had been expelled from an Orthodox seminary. He became one of the early Bolshivik revolutionaries, and came to power in the Soviet Union in 1921, ushering in the persecution of the Georgian Orthodox Church.

The Soviet government pursued a policy of state atheism, aiming to diminish the influence of all religious institutions, including the Georgian Orthodox Church. The regime viewed religion as a threat to its ideology and sought to eradicate its presence.

The Soviet authorities seized church property, including land, buildings, and valuables. Monasteries and churches were closed, and many were repurposed for secular uses or

Many members of the Georgian clergy were arrested Those who were not executed faced imprisonment, exile, or were forced to renounce their religious duties. The Church’s leadership was decimated, and those who survived often faced intense surveillance and harassment.

Numerous churches were destroyed or converted into warehouses, museums, or other non-religious buildings. The Church’s ability to function and maintain its traditions was severely restricted.

The Soviet government launched aggressive anti-religious campaigns. Propaganda portrayed the Church as backward and counter-revolutionary. Religious education and practices were suppressed, and efforts were made to indoctrinate the population with atheistic views.

Lay believers also faced persecution. Attending church services or participating in religious activities could lead to dismissal from jobs, expulsion from educational institutions, and social ostracism.

Many of the Church’s leaders, including Patriarch Ambrosi (Khelaia), were arrested and persecuted. Patriarch Ambrosi, who courageously protested Soviet policies, was arrested in 1924, imprisoned, and later died in 1927 as a result of the harsh conditions he endured. The hierarchical and organizational structure of the Georgian Orthodox Church was severely weakened. Many dioceses were left without bishops, and the administrative and pastoral capabilities of the Church were crippled, although many practiced their faith in secret. Persecution only eased after Stalin’s death.

The Soviet period of persecution is now recognized as a dark chapter in the history of the Georgian Orthodox Church. It is remembered for the suffering and martyrdom of many clergy and laypeople who remained steadfast in their faith.

Source: Orthochristian.com

 

 

UNDER COVER OF NIGHT, UKRAINE DESTROYS TITHES CHURCH, BUILT ON SITE OF FIRST KIEVAN CATHEDRAL
Place where the Tithes Church stood
Place where the Tithes Church stood
Place where the Tithes Church stood
Tithes Church (in foreground) demolished May 17, 2024
Tithes Church (in foreground) demolished May 17, 2024
Tithes Church (in foreground) demolished May 17, 2024
Destroyed Tithes Church carried away by dump truck
Destroyed Tithes Church carried away by dump truck
Destroyed Tithes Church carried away by dump truck

Kiev, May 17, 2024

Ukraine’s National History Museum and anti-Orthodox nationalists have finally achieved their dream of dismantling and destroying a church that, until this morning, stood on the site of the first cathedral of Kievan Rus’.

The ancient cathedral was blown up by the godless authorities in 1936, but in 2006, the new church, belonging to the Tithes Monastery, was built by Kiev residents with the blessing of then-primate Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine.

The anti-Orthodox element in Ukraine has been trying to dismantle the church since at least 2018, during the time of President Petro Poroshenko, arguing that it was illegally built on the territory of the National History Museum.

The church was vandalized and set on fire on January 25, 2018. On February 3 of that year, about 200 radicals staged a protest near the monastery, calling for its dismantling. More than 3,000 came out to defend the monastery on the same day. The former abbot of the Tithes Monastery, His Grace Bishop Gideon of Makarov, was temporarily deprived of his Ukrainian citizenship in 2019-2020 after he spoke out about the persecution of the Church.

In February 2023, the Economic Court of Kiev ruled to dismantle the church, which was later upheld by other court rulings.

Last month, the Museum announced a fundraiser towards the church’s demolition, calling it a piece of “garbage.”

And last night, the Tithes Monastery and other sources began reporting on the demolition of the church.

“At present, the church is surrounded by police and military personnel, with many buses carrying soldiers,” the monastery wrote at 10:34 PM. The next message called for prayers and physical help from anyone who was able.

At 10:49, the monastery reported that police were trying to detain the monastery brethren. It later reported there were more than 100 armed police officers present.

At 11:40: “Jammers for mobile communication and internet have been activated at the site, and the entire perimeter of the mountain is cordoned off by police. The sound of bulldozers can be heard.”

At 12:18, the monastery posted video of massive dump trucks carrying away debris. “Icons… Crosses… The altar…” the monastery wrote.

“The church that was consecrated by His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir and His Beatitude Metropolitan Onuphry no longer exists…,” the monastery wrote at 12:20.

Source:  Orthochristian.com

PATRIARCH PORFIRIJE OF SERBIA FORBIDDEN ENTRY INTO KOSOVO
17 May 2024 year 10:22

The International Human Rights Alliance "Church Against Xenophobia and Discrimination" has described the refusal of the authorities of Kosovo to allow hierarchs led by Serbian Patriarch Porfirije to enter for worship and official events as a gross violation of international law and an act of discrimination against believers of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

As reported earlier, on May 13, 2024, His Holiness Patriarch Porfirije and a group of seven archpastors, who were heading to the monastery of the Serbian Patriarchate in Peć to perform the Divine Liturgy, with which they, according to tradition, were supposed to open the next Bishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church, were stopped at the Merdare checkpoint on the administrative line separating Kosovo and Metohija from Central Serbia. Without explanation, the Serbian Patriarch and the accompanying hierarchs were informed that entry into the territory of the unrecognized "Republic of Kosovo" was prohibited for them.

In a statement published on May 16th by the press service of the Alliance "Church Against Xenophobia and Discrimination," attention is also drawn to the fact that this refusal is "not in any way justified" and furthermore, "it was not legally formalized, and at present the formal reason for the entry ban remains unknown."

"We consider it appropriate to organize a legal process to protect rights in this situation in accordance with international law, as well as according to the legislation in force in the territory of Kosovo," the statement said, posted on the website of the human rights organization. In this regard, the Human Rights Alliance "Church Against Xenophobia and Discrimination" will send corresponding proposals and recommendations to the Serbian Orthodox Church Patriarchate, as well as written requests regarding the incident to the authorities of Kosovo.

"On our part, the Alliance will ensure the presence of information on the fact of discrimination, unjustified restrictions on the freedom of movement, and religious activities of the hierarchs of the Serbian Orthodox Church at international conferences related to Kosovo, including within the framework of reporting procedures for monitoring compliance with human rights standards," –emphasize the human rights activists.

The International Human Rights Association "Church Against Xenophobia and Religious Discrimination" was established in December 2023 by a group of hierarchs and clergy of Local Orthodox Churches together with non-governmental organizations "Public Advocacy", "VSI Zmogaus teisiu apsauga" and "European institute for religion and law", which have a consultative status within the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.

DECR Communication Service/Patriarchia.ru